The history of VNIINEFTEMASH dates back to the Decree of the Council of Ministers of the USSR dated 13.08.1946 No. 1790 and the order of the Council of Ministers of the USSR dated 15.03.1947. No. 2349 - R, by which the Ministry of Oil Industry of the Eastern Regions was allowed to organize the State Research Institute of Petroleum Engineering in the Eastern Regions "Giproneftemashvostok".
By the decision of the Board of the State Committee of the Council of Ministers of the USSR on Science and Technology dated February 5, 1971, Giproneftemash with branches in Tyumen and Ufa was transformed into the All-Union Research and Design Institute of Petroleum Engineering - VNIINEFTEMASH of the Ministry of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering USSR and determined by the parent organization:
- in the field of creating drilling, oilfield, exploration equipment and tools;
- in the field of creation of oil refining, petrochemical equipment.
On February 24, 1988, by order of "Minkhimmash" of the USSR, the research and production association VNIINEFTEMASH was created, which included VNIINEFTEMASH and 9 machine-building enterprises.
Institute "VNIINEFTEMASH" was created in the process of privatization of the All-Union Research and Design Institute VNIINEFTEMASH on October 29, 1993.
The VNIINEFTEMASH Consulting as a consulting division of VNIINEFTEMASH was established on March 24, 2014 with the aim of organizing work on engineering and technical support of pressure vessels, providing expert diagnostic services, confirming compliance with the requirements of the Technical Regulations of the Customs Union of Russian and imported equipment, as well as providing various consulting services to hazardous industrial plants, technology licencors, EPC contractors, Russian and foreign machine-building plants and engineering companies.