History of VNIINEFTEMASH dates back to the resolution of the USSR Council of Ministers No.1790 dd. 13.08.1946 and the order of the USSR Council of Ministers No.2349 - R dd. 15.03.1947 authorizing the Ministry of Petroleum Industry of the Eastern Regions to set up a State Research Institute of Petroleum Machine Building of the Eastern Regions “Giproneftemashvostok”.
By the decision of the state committee collegium of the USSR Council of Ministers for science and technology dd. February 5, 1971 “Giproneftemash” with the branches in Tyumen and Ufa was reorganized to form the All-Union Research and Design Institute of Petroleum Machine Building - VNIINEFTEMASH of the USSR Ministry of Chemical and Petroleum Machine Building, and set as the head organization:
- in the field of creating drilling, oil-field, and geological prospecting equipment and tools;
- in the field of creating oil processing, petrochemical equipment.
On February 24, 1988, by the order of the USSR Ministry of Chemical Machine Building, VNIINEFTEMASH scientific and production association was set up comprised of VNIINEFTEMASH and 9 machine building enterprises
VNIINEFTEMASH Institute was set up during privatization of the All-Union Research and Design Institute VNIINEFTEMASH, on October 29, 1993.
The consultancy unit of VNIINEFTEMASH was set up on March 24, 2014 in order to arrange the works on technical support and TR CU compliance certification of imported equipment supplied to the EAEU territory, and to render the consultancy services to the licensors, EPC-contractors, foreign machine building plants and engineering companies.